Happy Holidays to You, Happy Retirement to Us!
From Liz, Dan and Don
Click here to jump below our card.
2018 Events and Travels
X California Moments
- Dan turned 70 on July 22! Let the full-benefits retirement begin.
- Liz retired in August as planned but Dan kept working until mid December at his boss's request. Liz is still learning how to "relax."
- We got new road bikes and cycled a 65-mile fund raiser in spring.
- Don brought floral delights to our back yard, nursing several gorgeous bouquet varieties to bloom.
- In late summer, Don supervised the initial phases of our wine cellar/TV/Fireplace redo. It's beautiful!
- [Photos in our California Moments album]
X Ski Trip to Whistler with Clark and Darlene
- In March, we flew to beautiful Vancouver for a day, and then joined Clark and Darlene for the drive to Whistler/Blackcomb.
- We enjoyed four days of cruiser skiing, delicious meals, and hanging out with these fun and funny friends.
- Back in CA, Mammoth Mountain on Memorial Day weekend was our final ski trip -- in the northern hemisphere!
- [Photos in our Whistler album]
X Biking Sacramento Area on Rene's Wedding Weekend
- On a May Saturday, we watched the Tour de California fly through Winters before we biked part of their route ourselves.
- With our ski family, we witnessed Rene and Dana's perfect wedding at the Flower Farm's garden, just outside of Sacramento. (On Sunday we biked back to the same spot for lunch.)
- [Photos in our Sacramento Biking album]
X Weekend in Upstate New York
- Dan's aunt and uncle passed away, bringing together dozens of cousins to reminisce at their memorial.
- We visited Dan's home town, LeRoy, NY, Nancy and Tom's place in Caledonia, and hiked at Letchworth State Park.
- On our last day we toured the Buffalo waterfront and its exquisite art-deco city hall.
- [Photos in our Upstate New York album]
X Five Weeks in Chile
- The goal of this August trip was to check out skiing in the Andes near Santiago (it was winter there) and everyday life in a foreign-language country.
- The verdict? Despite fun adventures in the mountains, seaside, deserts and wine country, we won't relocate there as a retirement adventure, due to language and ski logistics barriers.
- [Photos in our 12(!) Santiago albums]
X Dad's 90th Thanksgiving!
- "What better gift for Dad's 90th birthday than his own satellite and internet access?" thought Liz, with Dan and Don.
- It was a joint project to set up the network and the iPad Pro -- and we delivered it to Dad over Thanksgiving week.
- [Photos in our Thanksgiving 2018 album]